This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. It was created and is curated by a professor of Neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and is directed by a PhD in pharmacognosy (the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants for the brain. Dilston’s main focus is what plants can do for our brain and mind. It is grounded in modern herbal medicine and 21st century science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, Medicines and Cutting Edge Drugs
Physic Garden Fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from primary and secondary schools, Dilston has research links to Kew Gardens in London.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Want to try macrophotography? Join the wonderful photographer David Taylor this Sunday for a workshop #physicgarden… https://t.co/XiUGq4IqYz 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Visit us, #picnic with us, or just #relax at the physic #garden this Saturday - the #northeast secret garden is ope… https://t.co/HBphpxOkeT 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Just being in nature is proven to relax & boost memory, add #trees & #meditation, this day is a real treat for you… https://t.co/KLfx8IGeGF 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Meet #European pharmacist (where they're trained to use #herbs & #pharmaceuticals) & discover plants effective for… https://t.co/sSMBHfUfZd 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Fed up with perfumes full of synthetics? Come and make your very own natural scent #perfume #workshops… https://t.co/fUXXXN38Cd 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Meet pharmacist Milena, here to help with effective herbal medicine for minor ailments - drop in Thurs 1-5pm… https://t.co/R3CWEz8hZR 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter A sunny forecast for a picnic... or just time out in the #northeast secret garden https://t.co/YJ7yOZQm0U 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Last few places on our popular art class with artist-in-residence, her work is stunning..and scientific! #workshop… https://t.co/UfNmbcWzga 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Visit us today, we're open until for, and have takeaway botanical hot chocolate or fresh house botanical tea… https://t.co/RSmaKtamYP 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Come along to this gorgeously aromatic learning experience #hexham #courses https://t.co/kxxqi0soNw 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Discover Tree Bathing in the physic garden with Sandra Davies Sun 18th June (also runs on Sunday 17th September)… https://t.co/cbDMbVeu4c 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Taking a closer view: Looking into the hearts & minds of plants Art Class with Pauline Aitken Sat 10th or Sat 10th… https://t.co/nCXncqBb58 2 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
At the Spring Equinox, day and night are – once again – equal and balanced. We now cross the threshold into the light of summer. It is now that the sun rises due East, and the Spring Equinox has long been associated with dawn, youth and the morning star. Led by local members of […]
Sunday 5th February 3.00pm – 7.00pm Today, we’ll celebrate the growing power of the sun and connect with the ancient traditions of Imbolc. This day honoured the goddess Brigit, revered by the northern tribes of Celtic Britain, such as those living along the Tyne valley. Brigit is the goddess of creativity and healing – in the Christian calendar, her festival became ‘Candlemas’, […]
We invite you to join in an event which continues an ancient tradition while planting a legacy for the future. The physic garden is open from 12 noon – 2pm. Please feel free to bring snacks and sandwiches. From 1pm – 2pm, join in song and ceremony to toast our orchard trees. Wassail is an […]