This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. Created by a professor of neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and directed by a pharmacognosist (study of the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants active in the brain, Dilston has a focus on botanical medicine for the brain and especially towards preventative medicine. It is grounded in modern plant medicine and science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans-boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, medicine and cutting edge drugs
Physic Garden fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity for education.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from schools, college and other groups, Dilston has research links to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and other research bodies.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter If only we could see the bioactive molecules inside plants in such a way! https://t.co/7PC53mJ12R 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter Unique opportunity for #NorthEast #schools: Planet Birdsong arrive in #Northumberland this June with an opportunity… https://t.co/CpPoY05kvL 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter Unique opportunity for a North East school: Planet Birdsong arrive at the physic garden this June with an... https://t.co/Nysxbui4nd 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter Take control of your health. Learn all about using plants to maintain health and to safely treat many common... https://t.co/kmTGijPfAW 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter Take control of your health. Learn all about using plants to maintain #health and to safely treat many common ailme… https://t.co/7vNEitdEei 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Children's Potion Club Extra begins Sat 17th March 10-12noon - explore the awesome world of plant potions (and get… https://t.co/uAjkIkufjE 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter RT @herbsocietyuk: Lovely day to be looking around the Herb Garden at Battersea Park 🌿🌞 https://t.co/oy13Vemsz5 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter RT @herbsocietyuk: Londoners! Check out new herb store in Clapham @CaleyApothecary #herbalist #herbshop https://t.co/Oj6wAbNoRR 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Mandrake: Soporific, analgesic & said to be aphrodisiac. Induces hallucinations (shamanic), delirium, memory loss &… https://t.co/7tscKqNsro 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter We love Magic & Medicine - Discover #TreeMedicine at Dilston Physic Garden - the most famous being white willow bar… https://t.co/YmVjEO6o14 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter #ExplorePlantMedicineOnYourDoorstep #DilstonPhysicGarden https://t.co/1wB3vwlfpg 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Please #translateme ! https://t.co/8GU0HUR4Pt 3 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
As part of a Herb Spirit series, this book focuses on plants that promote calm and dispel states of anxiety. The story is about a group from the local Angst society who visit the garden to discover herbs to help them. Some think it’s Physic, others Psychic. They are informed, according to belief, in parallel […]