This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. Created by a professor of neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and directed by a pharmacognosist (study of the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants active in the brain, Dilston has a focus on botanical medicine for the brain and especially towards preventative medicine. It is grounded in modern plant medicine and science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans-boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, medicine and cutting edge drugs
Physic Garden fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity for education.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from schools, college and other groups, Dilston has research links to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and other research bodies.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Are bird vocalisations an international language? Explore the wonderful world of birdsong - #PlanetBirdsong at the… https://t.co/TeCR8QSZX3 4 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Dilston Physic Garden opens for the 2018 season Wednesday 7th March with WINTER OPENING TIMES (October - March) of… https://t.co/1jS6Tc78fd 24 hours ago
- Open in Twitter Lab studies confirm what #lavender does to our nerve cells. The main ingredients responsible for its #sedative & an… https://t.co/Tn7z1QMBmp 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter #Lavender, famous for improving #sleep, but what's the science? Individual scientific studies may be limited, but c… https://t.co/Lw50hE8D3F 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter Kids know about mandrake root from #HarryPotter but do they know about the magical world of #herbs for health & med… https://t.co/s1IfmWddP9 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Looking for something to turn your life around? Join our inspirational 10-day Foundation in Plant Medicine this... https://t.co/iTJwKJNlPG 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter New paper out. Available for free for 50 days here https://t.co/S0r80WcA3s 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter BY POPULAR DEMAND ‘Dilston Dispensary of Herbal Medicine’ 2018 https://t.co/ElshziHnag 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Plants clinically proven to boost your memory - read more : https://t.co/S0r80WcA3s https://t.co/WBxtbxPsRc 6 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Botanical Brain Balms :: Nicolette Perry, Elaine K. Perry books :: BOOKS etc https://t.co/HJfpsLDizz 11 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being in the the Physic Garden in i… https://t.co/2C4KJwylcZ 12 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day we had at the physic garden with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being... https://t.co/oY1j7T3jbp 12 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
This summer the physic garden is delighted to welcome back pharmacist Milena. As a pharmacist trained in Poland, where plant medicines are dispensed alongside drugs, this year Milena is not only offering consultations, but is encouraging learning on medicinal plants for common ailments through a series of workshops. Just drop into the physic garden every […]
Dilston Physic Garden’s director and curator are publishing a book on plants for the brain – ‘Botanical Brain Balms: Essential plants for memory, mood and mind’ with Filbert Press UK and publishers in the U.S., France and Germany. ‘The benefits of a plant-based diet to physical health are well-known and scientific research now shows that […]