This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. Created by a professor of neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and directed by a pharmacognosist (study of the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants active in the brain, Dilston has a focus on botanical medicine for the brain and especially towards preventative medicine. It is grounded in modern plant medicine and science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans-boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, medicine and cutting edge drugs
Physic Garden fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity for education.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from schools, college and other groups, Dilston has research links to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and other research bodies.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Forty three 2for1 gardens to visit in the North of England with #GardendersWorld https://t.co/8eZYNBoP3m. Don't for… https://t.co/pGjTqMX76j 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Attention all #farmers. Lab tests show antibacterial activity of cinnamon, thyme & winter savoury essential oils ag… https://t.co/diuoFNNdMX 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter The science of arnica pain relief and April & May at the Physic Garden https://t.co/4Iq70neXhd https://t.co/GGfbPKI3K5 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Celebrate Beltane with Victor Ball, interfaith minister Sunday 29th April 2018 1pm – 3pm Oh do not tell the pries… https://t.co/ixhNd9PXAe 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Come and celebrate Beltane - celebrate our entry into the bright half of the year – a festival of creativity and ab… https://t.co/m3CB9p0ax3 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter We're open for the season! Come and visit the physic garden Wednesdays & Saturdays 11am to 4pm. See our new physic… https://t.co/JvSVE0jyhq 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter New date - Saturday 28th April - when the sun WILL shine 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Children’s Potion Club with Davina Hopkinson, Medical Herbalist Thursday 12th April 2018 10am – 2pm Get the wellie… https://t.co/iODGfJosFH 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Take a day out from your business to reconnect & rebalance. Life is so busy - it’s easy to feel like you’re in a pe… https://t.co/xxgDnK084V 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Come and discover more on #planetbirdsong at Dilston Physic Garden this June #workshops #NorthEast #Northumberland https://t.co/rX6T49vUaB 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Day Retreat for Small Business Owners with Debbie Stokoe Sunday 15th April 2018 10am – 4pm Take a day out from you… https://t.co/Jt2vWuJHlo 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Support a great physic garden project https://t.co/9KlMTlbV2m @idle_women 3 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
This summer the physic garden is delighted to welcome back pharmacist Milena. As a pharmacist trained in Poland, where plant medicines are dispensed alongside drugs, this year Milena is not only offering consultations, but is encouraging learning on medicinal plants for common ailments through a series of workshops. Just drop into the physic garden every […]
Dilston Physic Garden’s director and curator are publishing a book on plants for the brain – ‘Botanical Brain Balms: Essential plants for memory, mood and mind’ with Filbert Press UK and publishers in the U.S., France and Germany. ‘The benefits of a plant-based diet to physical health are well-known and scientific research now shows that […]