This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. It was created and is curated by a professor of Neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and is directed by a PhD in pharmacognosy (the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants for the brain. Dilston’s main focus is what plants can do for our brain and mind. It is grounded in modern herbal medicine and 21st century science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, Medicines and Cutting Edge Drugs
Physic Garden Fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from primary and secondary schools, Dilston has research links to Kew Gardens in London.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Join our popular 10-day midsummer discovery of the power of plants for health and as effective medicines. On... https://t.co/OpaZNxqU05 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter From plant to perfume, a day of botanical perfumery. with Tanya Moulding Saturday 3rd June 10:30am - 4pm... https://t.co/DbDbZgM2yA 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Taking a closer view: Looking into the hearts and minds of plants. Saturday 10th June 10:00am - 4:00pm. £15.00... https://t.co/kj6uZkFpXD 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Meet Mucousy #Herbs: Help your #Skin & #Digestion - join new talks with pharmacist Milena, discover the benefits of… https://t.co/COyXeOEzUg 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Meet Mucousy Herbs: Help you Skin and Digestive System* with Milena Kopkowska Herbal Pharmacist Thursday 1st... https://t.co/2rCS1WOa51 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Children’s Potion Club with Davina Hopkinson, Medical Herbalist Thursday 1st June 10am – 2pm You’ve heard about... https://t.co/vG4vR97wxB 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Did you know medicinal plants can help you back to health, and can also keep you healthy? Explore effective... https://t.co/G8QA5gPtQJ 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Another sunny day tomorrow... perfect to discover what the #science & #medicine of the #plants around us can do for… https://t.co/t0rpttFJrw 1 day ago
- Open in Twitter Want to try macrophotography? Join the wonderful photographer David Taylor this Sunday for a workshop #physicgarden… https://t.co/XiUGq4IqYz 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Visit us, #picnic with us, or just #relax at the physic #garden this Saturday - the #northeast secret garden is ope… https://t.co/HBphpxOkeT 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Just being in nature is proven to relax & boost memory, add #trees & #meditation, this day is a real treat for you… https://t.co/KLfx8IGeGF 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter Meet #European pharmacist (where they're trained to use #herbs & #pharmaceuticals) & discover plants effective for… https://t.co/sSMBHfUfZd 6 days ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
From the earliest times, our ancestors have welcomed the rebirth of the sun at the darkest point of the year. In this same spirit, we gather at first to mourn the death of the sun, and to let go of that which is fading and dying. We will then symbolically enact the turning of the year from […]
Samhain (summer’s end) is a festival of remembrance and honouring of our ancestors. It is said that at Samhain the veil that separates the worlds is at its thinnest. So our world, and that of the dead, blend as one. On this night of wonder and magic, the spirits of the otherworld are invited to […]
Physic Garden Commission: Eavesdropping on Medicinal Plants The Person We are looking for someone with electronic, electrical and musical expertise – and loads of enthusiasm and initiative. The Project Creating an electrical machine that will record changing electrical potentials on parts of plants in the Physic Garden. Requirements: attachment leads, instrument conversion to readout as visual waves […]