This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. It was created and is curated by a professor of Neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and is directed by a PhD in pharmacognosy (the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants for the brain. Dilston’s main focus is what plants can do for our brain and mind. It is grounded in modern herbal medicine and 21st century science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, Medicines and Cutting Edge Drugs
Physic Garden Fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from primary and secondary schools, Dilston has research links to Kew Gardens in London.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter RT @write4wellbeing: POETRY FOR HEALING WORKSHOP DILSTON PHYSIC GARDEN Sat 9 Sept, 10am-1pm. Only £25. @medicalbotany To book see https://… 6 minutes ago
- Open in Twitter RT @DebbieStokoe111: What a beautiful day at Dilston Physic Garden! Such a stunning place! Can't wait to go back! @MedicalBotany #northeast… 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @HerbalGram: "The central and local governments have given strong support for the inheritance of ancient Tibetan medical science" https:… 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @ChelsPhysicGdn: Ancient Egyptians regarded the pomegranate as a symbol of prosperity & ambition. You can see our pomegranate tree growi… 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @write4wellbeing: WRITING FOR WELLBEING WORKSHOP DILSTON PHYSIC GARDEN Sat 9 Sept, 10am-1pm. Only £25. @medicalbotany To book see https… 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @DebbieStokoe111: Have made this for my day @MedicalBotany tomorrow. Hope it turns out like this!!! 🥕 #tartetatin https://t.co/HGzSeCBVtI 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @write4wellbeing: POETRY FOR HEALING WORKSHOP DILSTON PHYSIC GARDEN Sat 9 Sept, 10am-1pm. Only £25. @medicalbotany To book see https://… 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @DebbieStokoe111: Looking forward to visiting @MedicalBotany on Sunday for a Labyrinth workshop #solstice #northeasthour https://t.co/Qm… 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter RT @write4wellbeing: POETRY FOR HEALING WORKSHOP DILSTON PHYSIC GARDEN Sat 9 Sept, 10am-1pm. Only £25. @medicalbotany To book see https://… 7 days ago
- Open in Twitter Harvest summer herbs to make safe medicines for you & your family Wed 28th June #herbalmedicine #daycourse… https://t.co/Cj9vwfelz8 7 days ago
- Open in Twitter Discover the spirit of plant medicine, this July - Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th #herbs #visitnorthumberland… https://t.co/fwp6lheeCD 7 days ago
- Open in Twitter This Sunday discover the powers of the #labyrinth #tynevalley https://t.co/SLiU4B6c0E 1 week ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
The physic garden’s 10 Day Foundation in Plant Medicine is a unique, hands on course which demonstrates how plants can maintain and boost your health. You’ll also discover how to make your own, safe plant remedies. Running over 5 seasonal weekends in 2016, this is your time to immerse yourself in the tranquil Physic Garden […]
We are honoured to welcome Dr. Anne Pickering as our Botanist in Residence. Anne is one of the Friends of the Garden, and her extensive skills are very much in tune with its ethos – a researcher, artist, tutor, hen house builder and motorcycle mechanic, we can call on Anne in almost any eventuality! Anne studied Botany […]
Following a successful Imbolc gathering, the Northumbrian Grove of Bards, Ovates and Druids invite you to join them in their Spring Equinox ceremony in the Physic Garden on Sunday 10th March 10:30am – 1:30pm. At the Spring Equinox, day and night are once again equal and balanced. The sun rises due east, symbolising renewal. […]