This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. It was created and is curated by a professor of Neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and is directed by a PhD in pharmacognosy (the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants for the brain. Dilston’s main focus is what plants can do for our brain and mind. It is grounded in modern herbal medicine and 21st century science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, Medicines and Cutting Edge Drugs
Physic Garden Fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from primary and secondary schools, Dilston has research links to Kew Gardens in London.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Botanical Brain Balms :: Nicolette Perry, Elaine K. Perry books :: BOOKS etc https://t.co/HJfpsLDizz 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being in the the Physic Garden in i… https://t.co/2C4KJwylcZ 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day we had at the physic garden with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being... https://t.co/oY1j7T3jbp 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Come to the physic garden (& see it in its beautiful winter coat) to discover the medieval legend behind #Angelica’… https://t.co/btlR4GzTQs 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Connecting with Angels with Phillippa Lee Sunday 10th December 2pm – 5pm Come to the physic garden (and see it... https://t.co/AGb2GfdH5G 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter So great to read your write up of the physic garden and to meet you. Good luck with the rest of your project and... https://t.co/RN35jfXH79 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter The foxglove fairy at the physic garden - #foxglove is the source of the #heart drug digoxin on the #WHO list of es… https://t.co/a71Nth7mVS 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter From the deep wound-healing qualities of comfrey to the sleep-inducing powers of valerian - discover the power of r… https://t.co/qN9Dvaowf7 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter RT @DebbieStokoe111: I've missed teaching and doing therapies! Thanks @MedicalBotany for a wonderful day! 🙏🏻💖🍃#wellbeing #northeast https:/… 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Keeping away the 'demons' #StJohnsWort snake - the famous plant for depression acts on a number of the #brain’s sig… https://t.co/HuhvKG72vd 7 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Visit us this Autumn we're open Wednesdays 11am-3pm and Thursdays 12-3pm until 22nd December #NorthEast #herbs… https://t.co/isj4KHWGQY 8 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter https://t.co/Jue4c5xYfz 8 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
Samhain (summer’s end) is a festival of remembrance and honouring of our ancestors. It is said that at Samhain the veil that separates the worlds is at its thinnest. So our world, and that of the dead, blend as one. On this night of wonder and magic, the spirits of the otherworld are invited to […]
Physic Garden Commission: Eavesdropping on Medicinal Plants The Person We are looking for someone with electronic, electrical and musical expertise – and loads of enthusiasm and initiative. The Project Creating an electrical machine that will record changing electrical potentials on parts of plants in the Physic Garden. Requirements: attachment leads, instrument conversion to readout as visual waves […]
Dilston Dispensary of Herbal Medicines at Dilston Physic Garden This is your herbal pharmacy, the first UK herbal dispensary situated in a medicinal herb garden, led by registered medical herbalists Ross Menzies and Davina Hopkinson. Both have many years of clinical experience prescribing effective remedies to patients. This is a place where you can discuss […]