This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. Created by a professor of neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and directed by a pharmacognosist (study of the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants active in the brain, Dilston has a focus on botanical medicine for the brain and especially towards preventative medicine. It is grounded in modern plant medicine and science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans-boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, medicine and cutting edge drugs
Physic Garden fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity for education.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from schools, college and other groups, Dilston has research links to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and other research bodies.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Forty three 2for1 gardens to visit in the North of England with #GardendersWorld https://t.co/8eZYNBoP3m. Don't for… https://t.co/pGjTqMX76j 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter Attention all #farmers. Lab tests show antibacterial activity of cinnamon, thyme & winter savoury essential oils ag… https://t.co/diuoFNNdMX 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter The science of arnica pain relief and April & May at the Physic Garden https://t.co/4Iq70neXhd https://t.co/GGfbPKI3K5 2 days ago
- Open in Twitter Celebrate Beltane with Victor Ball, interfaith minister Sunday 29th April 2018 1pm – 3pm Oh do not tell the pries… https://t.co/ixhNd9PXAe 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter Come and celebrate Beltane - celebrate our entry into the bright half of the year – a festival of creativity and ab… https://t.co/m3CB9p0ax3 3 days ago
- Open in Twitter We're open for the season! Come and visit the physic garden Wednesdays & Saturdays 11am to 4pm. See our new physic… https://t.co/JvSVE0jyhq 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter New date - Saturday 28th April - when the sun WILL shine 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter Children’s Potion Club with Davina Hopkinson, Medical Herbalist Thursday 12th April 2018 10am – 2pm Get the wellie… https://t.co/iODGfJosFH 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Take a day out from your business to reconnect & rebalance. Life is so busy - it’s easy to feel like you’re in a pe… https://t.co/xxgDnK084V 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Come and discover more on #planetbirdsong at Dilston Physic Garden this June #workshops #NorthEast #Northumberland https://t.co/rX6T49vUaB 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Day Retreat for Small Business Owners with Debbie Stokoe Sunday 15th April 2018 10am – 4pm Take a day out from you… https://t.co/Jt2vWuJHlo 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter Support a great physic garden project https://t.co/9KlMTlbV2m @idle_women 2 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
At the Spring Equinox, day and night are – once again – equal and balanced. We now cross the threshold into the light of summer. It is now that the sun rises due east, and the Spring Equinox has long been associated with dawn, youth and the morning star. Led by local members of […]
Sunday 5th February 3.00pm – 7.00pm Today, we’ll celebrate the growing power of the sun and connect with the ancient traditions of Imbolc. This day honoured the goddess Brigit, revered by the northern tribes of Celtic Britain, such as those living along the Tyne valley. Brigit is the goddess of creativity and healing – in the Christian calendar, her festival became ‘Candlemas’, […]
We invite you to join in an event which continues an ancient tradition while planting a legacy for the future. The physic garden is open from 12 noon – 2pm. Please feel free to bring snacks and sandwiches. From 1pm – 2pm, join in song and ceremony to toast our orchard trees. Wassail is an […]