This physic garden has its origins in neuroscience. Created by a professor of neurochemistry at the University of Newcastle and directed by a pharmacognosist (study of the science of medicinal plants) specialising in aromatic plants active in the brain, Dilston has a focus on botanical medicine for the brain and especially towards preventative medicine. It is grounded in modern plant medicine and science and embraces sound evidence from a multidisciplinary and trans-boundary perspective.
The Physic Shop & Dispensary of Herbal Medicines
Plants for health, medicine and cutting edge drugs
Physic Garden fresh Botanical Tea
Plants proven to boost mood, memory & sleep and reduce pain, stress & anxiety
Children’s Potion Club
Inspiring Young Minds | Group, School, College and University Visits
Mugwort Goddess in the Medicinal Meadow
Tranquility in a medicinal garden for wellbeing
Workshops | Foundation in Plant Medicine | Events
Plants & Modern Medicine
Dilston Physic Garden is a Registered Charity for education.
With links to the University of Newcastle in several ways, including interactions with Northeast Universities Medicinal Plant Research Group (MPRG), educational visits from North East university medical students, groups from other university departments.
As well as taking interactive educational visits from schools, college and other groups, Dilston has research links to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and other research bodies.
Our volunteers are central in caring for the plants at Dilston Physic Garden and say they experience many rewarding opportunities and in a number of different and exciting ways.
As well as keeping all of the physic garden herbs healthy and happy and harvesting them to make tea or to dry and package them, volunteers also show visitors around and answer questions.
We provide any training needed and volunteers pick up herbal tip bits, enjoy good company and the odd healthy herbal lunch!
Volunteers can be reimbursed for traveling expenses and also have the chance to join a workshop of their choice, free of charge. Just contact us to start your experience !
- Open in Twitter Kids know about mandrake root from #HarryPotter but do they know about the magical world of #herbs for health & med… https://t.co/s1IfmWddP9 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Looking for something to turn your life around? Join our inspirational 10-day Foundation in Plant Medicine this... https://t.co/iTJwKJNlPG 3 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter New paper out. Available for free for 50 days here https://t.co/S0r80WcA3s 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter BY POPULAR DEMAND ‘Dilston Dispensary of Herbal Medicine’ 2018 https://t.co/ElshziHnag 5 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Plants clinically proven to boost your memory - read more : https://t.co/S0r80WcA3s https://t.co/WBxtbxPsRc 6 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Botanical Brain Balms :: Nicolette Perry, Elaine K. Perry books :: BOOKS etc https://t.co/HJfpsLDizz 11 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being in the the Physic Garden in i… https://t.co/2C4KJwylcZ 12 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter What a brilliant Roots Day we had at the physic garden with medical herbalist Jill Schnabel. Everyone loved being... https://t.co/oY1j7T3jbp 12 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Come to the physic garden (& see it in its beautiful winter coat) to discover the medieval legend behind #Angelica’… https://t.co/btlR4GzTQs 12 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter Connecting with Angels with Phillippa Lee Sunday 10th December 2pm – 5pm Come to the physic garden (and see it... https://t.co/AGb2GfdH5G 12 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter So great to read your write up of the physic garden and to meet you. Good luck with the rest of your project and... https://t.co/RN35jfXH79 13 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter The foxglove fairy at the physic garden - #foxglove is the source of the #heart drug digoxin on the #WHO list of es… https://t.co/a71Nth7mVS 13 weeks ago
What others say about us
“The most exquisite magical garden you could find”
“What a fantastic find! Thank you.”
“A beautiful and peaceful garden and a real source of inspiration.”
“Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.”
Sunday 26 June 2pm – 6pm The Summer Solstice marks the time when the sun is at the height of its power – and nature’s response is an awesome display of colour and fragrance. This time is known in contemporary Druidry as ‘Alban Hefin’ – ‘Light of the Summer Shore’. Midsummer is the time […]
You’re invited to join us on Sunday 8th May 6.00 pm – 9.00 pm in the Physic Garden for an early summer celebration. Beltane is a festival which marks our entry into the bright half of the year – a festival of creativity and abundance, when the “bel-fire” is lit in honour of the sun […]
The physic garden’s 10 Day Foundation in Plant Medicine is a unique, hands on course which demonstrates how plants can maintain and boost your health. You’ll also discover how to make your own, safe plant remedies. Running over 5 seasonal weekends in 2016, this is your time to immerse yourself in the tranquil Physic Garden […]