Learn how to use plants for health and medicine – Seasonal Weekend or 10 day Midsummer (alternate years).
Feedback from FPM students…
A really excellent course that greatly exceeded my expectations in its contents & the presentation of the sessions.
I have found this a fascinating experience overall which has enhanced my life on many levels.
Magical, I had waited for a long time for this experience and it was more than worth the wait, excellent tuition from experienced herbalists. A balanced mixture of theory, science, herbal practice and practical work
The physic garden and herbology house are the perfect place to do a botanical course, like a retreat
Now knowing which herb I am looking at, dog walking is a whole different thing
I’d virtually given up on the human race before I did this course!
The Foundation in Plant Medicine at Dilston Physic Garden is an inspirational way to learn about the health and medicinal use of plants that grow around us. With our programme of study, in the tranquil setting of the physic garden, you discover how to use medicinal plants to treat the minor ailments and health issues we encounter in everyday life. You also uncover some fascinating facts behind the principles of plant medicine. Each course is designed to be informative, friendly and fun, allowing you to make safe home botanical medicines for you (and your family) and are complete beginner’s guides – no previous knowledge needed.
This unique Foundation Course series on the power of medicinal plants has been a huge success in the 7 years it has been running.
- Discover the remarkable medicinal properties of the plants that grow around us
- Learn to use medicinal plants to the treat minor ailments and health issues we encounter in everyday life
- Make your own safe Home Botanical Medicines for you and your family.
- Uncover fascinating facts behind the principles of health and the scientific basis plant medicine.
- All our courses are provided by qualified Medical Herbalists (and other professionals – optional course).
- Scholarships are occasionally available – please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have a limited number of concessionary rates.
- The Foundation Course in Plant Medicine takes place over 10 days at the inspirational centre for learning and training, Dilston Physic Garden, in the beautiful Tyne Valley in Northumberland. It is a hands-on series of courses and on completion of all sessions you receive a Foundation in Plant Medicine Certificate.
- NOTE: The Foundation Course in Plant Medicine is NOT a practitioner course and does not qualify you to become a botanical medicine practitioner or a qualified Medical Herbalist or to individually prescribe herbal medicines in any form – always consult a qualified Medical Herbalist before taking any plant medicinally and inform your health care provider if you have any medical condition. It does however give you an in depth and working knowledge of botanical medicine.
10-day diploma £750 (or only £650 if booked by the 1st December before the course)
*Please note that we have a maximum of 15 participants per course, so do get in touch soon to reserve your place.
You can pay by 6 easy installments of £108/mth if booking 6 months in advance
May I just say that it has been an amazing summer in the garden and the learning experience has been inspirational. It’s quite rare to get interests and belief systems in such a balanced impartial environment that respects a wide range of scientific & holistic backgrounds.
That has very much been a positive impact on a personal note. I have enjoyed learning all aspects of herbs, botany and medicine from a great team of people and have been inspired to go on a journey with herbs in some capacity, wherever it leads me to. Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge and passion of herbs, I have found it to be inspiring and informative and will take much information with me.”
Foundation Course Example Modules 2017 & 2018
Note: the format and content may change
Hedgerow Medicine: Introduction to Herbal Medicine Part I & II
With Ross Menzies
(including an Introduction the Physic Garden & your Medicinal Flora Monograph)
Hedgerow Medicine Parts 1 & 2 are designed to give a grounding in the philosophy and practicalities of botanical medicine. Both sessions have a strong practical element and students will learn how to identify a range of medicinal plants and the techniques used to gather and prepare them. They will reflect on their own life and health journeys as a means to understanding how our bodies can talk to us and point to a wide range of needs and imbalances help us t live in balance and in alignment with our deepest needs.
Students will experience the joy of making a wide range of traditional medicines and preparations using simple ingredients. At the core of this module is an approach to plant medicine that is deeply respectful of the plants and the wider environment. The Hedgerow Medicine modules will lay the foundations for other modules introducing many of the skills & ideas that will be used or developed as the course progresses. The plants used may vary depending on the season and which plants seem most appropriate to collect, other tutors may revisit some of the herbs covered in these modules , giving their own unique approaches and experience.
Nature’s Pharmacy Part I: Discover your Digestion
With Sarah Hughes
Did you know that the gut contains more immune cells than any other area of the body? Did you know that it produces more serotonin (affecting mood and sleep, among other things) than the brain does?
With this in mind, we will have a day learning about the crucial and influential role the digestive system has in health and disease, and how herbs can be used both for problems within the digestive system and for promoting health.