Visitors to the physic garden will be prepared for a short (5 minute) walk to the garden entrance gate. This is a pleasant walk along a riverside lane, which is also a public footpath, but please note that it has an incline at the end – for an equally pleasant flat walk and larger car park, park in our Top-up car park – see right.
- Wear footwear suitable for a muddy lane!
- Follow the lane by the river, after 75 metres the path turns up to the right and there is an incline between 2 houses, contunie up to the physic garden entrance gate which is on the right at the top of the incline.
TALK, COURSE, EVENT & VOLUNTEER PARKING
WORKSHOP/ EVENT PARKING
When visiting for a workshop, course, event or to volunteer please only park in our Top-up Car Park (and not the small visitor car park).
TOP-UP CAR PARK DIRECTIONS Allow for a pleasant 8-10 minute flat country walk from the Top-up Car Park to the Herbology House in the centre of the physic garden.
Directions for Dilston Top-up Car Park
- Take the A695 east from Corbridge towards Hexham. Continue for just over one mile, crossing the rail crossing and the small bridge over the Dyvel’s water. Turn left into the lane at the top of the hill, 200yds after the small bridge. Coming from Hexham on the A695, turn right into the lane directly at the top of the first hill descent coming from Hexham, this is 200yds before the Dyvel’s Water bridge (if you reach the bridge you have gone too far).
- On entering the lane, turn left through the gate into the grassfield carpark (please note you may need to open the gate if you are the first there). Please do not drive down the private scout lane.
- Enjoy the 8-10 minute flat walk along the lane, pushing opening the lane barrier – note the chain on this gate is wrapped not locked – and turning left onto the public footpath at the cottage and after 250yd you reach the Physic Garden entrance gate on the left.
- Bring footwear for a muddy lane!
CLOSER OR WHEELCHAIR ACCESS ?
For those not able to walk the lanes, cars can drive up to the entrance gate to drop – returning the car back to the car park (or if not possible to return your car, you can park beyond the sign at the entrance on the left, please leaving ample space for cars to turn in the entrance).
There are seats at intervals placed around the physic garden.
Access is not yet suitable for wheelchairs, though, wheelchairs are possible if the weather is dry. Most of the Physic Garden is at one level, the ground is grass and there are narrow gravel paths round some beds.